| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us |  
top_img
J Korean Soc Emerg Med > Volume 9(1); 1998 > Article
Journal of The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine 1998;9(1): 97-103.
Management of Penetrating Neck Injuries
Yong Jeong Kim, Jong Kwan Kim, In Sik Park, Hoon Sang Chi
ABSTRACT
BACKGROUND: The management of penetrating neck injuries presents a difficult problem. Although many authors have stated that surgical exploration should be mandatory for all neck injuries that penetrate platysma, recent reports from many centers now claim selective exploration. The aim of this study was to review a policy of selective neck exploration based on clinical presentation, anatomic location, and the result of diagnostic studies. METHOD: We reviewed retrospectively medical records of 66 patients who were admitted and managed at Yongdong Severance hospital, Yonsei university college of medicine due to penetrating neck injuries from Jan. 1990 to Dec. 1996.
RESULTS:
Forty-one patients(62%) were underwent immediate neck exploration, while the remaining 25 patients(38%) were admitted and observed. Three had esophagoscopy, four had esophagogram, and three had direct laryngoscopy, all of which revealed normal result except one patient had blood tinged larynx on laryngoscopy. Results of 12 neck explorations(29%) were negative. There was no delayed diagnosis during conservative treatment. There was no mortality.
CONCLUSION:
We concluded that selective exploration of penetrating neck injuries is both safe and resonable.
TOOLS
PDF Links  PDF Links
Full text via DOI  Full text via DOI
Download Citation  Download Citation
Share:      
METRICS
1,108
View
4
Download
Related articles
A Study of management for Splenic Injuries  1997 June;8(2)
Management of Complete Tracheal Disruption after a Fall  2007 February;18(1)
A Case of Penetrating Eye Injury Induced by Taser Gun  2009 October;20(5)
Editorial Office
The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine
TEL: +82-62-226-1780   FAX: +82-62-224-3501   E-mail: 0012194@csuh.co.kr
About |  Browse Articles |  Current Issue |  For Authors and Reviewers
Copyright © The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine.                 Developed in M2PI